Introduction

Hello all!

I have decided, a bit belatedly, that rather than continuing to send out email updates to individuals, I will hereafter instead keep a blog detailing my five-week stay in Salzburg. For those who may be unclear or who have forgotten, I am here in Austria through the "University of Miami at Salzburg" program studying German and Voice (both for academic credit at the University of Miami) at Salzburg College. Additionally, I will attend numerous master classes (a master class is a class taught before an audience by an accomplished musician-the eponymous "master"- who individually instructs students in performance and technique), concerts all around the city, and performances at the prestigious Salzburg Summer Music Festival.

The "Salzburger Festspiele" boasts four weeks of concerts and opera performed by many of the world's greatest musicians (such as conductor James Levine, the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, pianist Martha Argerich, mezzo-soprano Joyce DiDonato, and soprano Anna Netrebko, to name only a few!) It is extremely exciting to be in what is, during the Festival, often referred to as the music capital of the world, and to witness this showcase of the preeminent musicians of this century performing their craft.

I will do my best to document my daily life, experiences, observations, and reflections as I attend my first study-abroad program! Though I have visited Europe a number of times in the past, I have not yet had the opportunity to explore beyond the United Kingdom, and have long awaited the chance to do so!

More to come shortly as I commence documenting new experiences! Thanks for reading!

Auf Wiedersehen!
Charlotte

1 comment:

  1. So glad that you decided to do this. Can't wait to see your photos and to hear about your daily life. Have fun!! xoxo -- Mom

    ReplyDelete